In the early 18th century, Alexandre de Segur owned the prestigious Latour, Lafite and Mouton estates. He bestowed the properties to his son Nicolas Alexandre, who, through his marriage, came to own Chateau Calon. He eventually sold that estate to Etienne Dumoulin. His son, Théodore Dumoulin, discovered a portion of the estate called Lande d’Escargeon, which, at the time, was a moor covered in pink heather. He decided to clear the land, plant vines and a build chateau, creating what would be Chateau Montrose. In 1824, Dumoulin sold Calon but kept Montrose, and thirty years later, in 1855, the estate was ranked a Second Growth through that renowned classification of the Medoc. Montrose was then acquired by Mathieu Dollfus, a passionate entrepreneur who made great investments in the property. In 1896, the chateau was acquired by the Charmolue family. Three subsequent generations continued to manage Montrose, with work that included restoring the vineyard after the devastation of WWII. As of 2006, the brothers Martin and Olivier Bouygues have continued to work to produce exceptional wines vintage after vintage.
Chateau Montrose is located in the Saint-Estèphe appellation, with a 95 hectare vineyard in a single block. The vines benefit from ideal conditions, situated on small, gravelly hills with excellent sun exposure. The gravelly pebbles in the ground also help to transmit heat to the vines during the evening, which helps to ripen the berries. Additionally, the proximity of the Gironde Estuary regulates any extremes in temperature and protects the vines from potential frost. The vineyard of Montrose is divided as 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot.