Classification: 1er cru classé en 1855
Before the French Revolution, the property belonged to Carmelite monks. Following the Revolution, it changed hands many times until it was purchased by Domaines Barons de Rothschild in 1984. This instituted a series of improvements, including new cellars and rigorous sorting to ensure quality.
90% sémillon, 7% sauvignon blanc and 3% muscadelle are planted over 93 hectares in soils of large gravel over clay subsoils. One of the largest estates in Sauternes, it neighbours Château d’Yquem and has ideal conditions for the development of botrytis cinerea. Also known as noble rot, botrytis attacks the grapes on the vines, thereby reducing moisture, concentrating sugars and adding complex aromas and flavours.
The wines are fermented in barrel, approximately 50% of which are new. It is notable for its exceptional complexity and outstanding balance, with intense honeyed aromas and flavours balanced by freshness and acidity.